Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Journey Begins

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

- William Ernest Henley


Welcome to THE JOURNEY. Here you will find accounts of my own life as I travel the world with the sole purpose of LIVING. Living...we all do that, right? NO! The truth is that most of us simply EXIST...with the right combination of trial, defeat, and misfortune we absolutely forget that we have value, purpose, and THE RIGHT to an abundant life. Abundant living, not just in wealth and fortune, but more importantly in JOY and PEACE.

The past 10 years of my life I was among the ones who merely existed. In fact there were days when I would wake up and sincerely ask God "Did you really have to do this today? Wasn't yesterday bad enough?" I was over life and it's "series of unfortunate events" that always seemed to find their way to me.

After being diagnosed with Alopecia Areata, a disease that has caused total and permanent loss of ALL of my hair, I had no idea what was to come next.

Now while my issue is cosmetic in nature, and to some MINOR, it was enough for me to lose my confidence and send me into a 6 month seclusion from the outside world. Since birth I had been known for my long, natural hair, and striking beauty. I had built my image around being compared with the likeness of TLC's Chili and enjoyed nicknames like "Little Indian" & "Pocahontas" affectionately used by my peers. I was very sociable, "never met a stranger", very involved in organizations, and my future...I was to take over the world, one Smile at a time.

So now what was I to do?


I had no idea...so I did NOTHING. I CEASED TO LIVE...and became very intentional in my attempt to exist in the background of my own life. I submitted to living well below my potential because I did not know how to embrace this devastating change that had "just happened" to me. And of course if I couldn't accept it, how could anyone else?

As you have read this up to this point you are probably thinking "I don't get it, it's hair." or even something to the effect of "Is it really that serious? Put on a wig...everybody's doing it anyway." And today, you would be right. AND when it is your CHOICE to do so, that's all well and good. But to a 21 year old, conservative young woman, who did not have a CHOICE...it can be a little difficult.

The point that I bring to you is...for years I "benched" myself because I did not know how to "win" with the hand that I had been dealt. We ALL at some point have something that comes along and blindsides us...but we can recover if we don't give it power over us. Living beyond your fears is possible, when you determine that you are only defined by your WILL and PURPOSE TO LIVE.

As I retire my seat on the bench of my life, I invite you to get back in the game with me. No matter what YOUR "Alopecia" is...YOU are still the Quarterback of your life and with the divine guidance of God as your coach...this game is dependent on YOU.

Be Bold. Be Confident. Be Free.



2 comments: