Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Love-Hate Relationship

The relationship that we have with our money is one that we don’t often think about. We don’t notice how we treat it or evaluate our thoughts in dealing with it. We often talk of what we would do with it if we had more, rarely including any form of giving or charity but most often reflecting our pure selfish desires. Someone once said the way that you treat your money is an indication of how you feel about yourself. (Just say ouch…right??) We haven’t all been blessed with [even the remnants of] Oprah’s bank account where we can afford to take 300 + people on international vacations…and that’s not important. What’s important is that we are able to lead life with the same type of heart; that we value the little things and learn how to bless those around us. We are better people because of our heart to do for others.

I was listening to the song Billionaire (Travie McCoy feat. Bruno Mars) and it prompted me to write this (somewhat humorous but very serious) letter to my bank account. I’m not saying you should take to writing your own, I’m just asking…have you thought about your relationship with your money?


Dear bank account,

Over the years we have had a very trying relationship. I have not always kept the promises that I made in the beginning although my intentions were always good. I admit that at times I was very selfish and I took from you to satisfy a frivolous desire when you really just wanted to make sure that I was taken care of long term. And for that I say thank you.

I know that at times I put you at risk and then threw a fit because my irresponsibility jeopardized us both. Even when I thought I could avoid hurting you by creating a diversion so that by the time you felt the blow of my open hand the flowers would have already arrived…the flowers would arrive too late.

So I pen this letter to you today to apologize for my years of habitual abuse and to say that I have matured tremendously. I now can respect your intentions and see how our goals truly do mirror each other. I see you as more than just a safe place but as a partner in my life, my teammate who will continue to work to achieve the goals that we set together and will put in overtime to support my personal endeavors. I did not know how to appreciate your generosity and I am truly remorseful that I wasted so many good years with you.

As we move forward I want you to know that my desire is to fill your vessel with abundance so that together we can open up our arms to hopefully help others to achieve the stability that we have. Now don’t get me wrong, we will have fun along the way spending quality time alone. I can see us now strolling along the Bahamian Beaches, snorkeling in Samoan waters, taking in the culture of International Coasts and satisfying our soul’s desires. Together let’s make a name for ourselves as the duo that made a difference. I don’t want to keep our riches to just us…let’s supersede the charitable efforts of even Donald Trump (but let’s not tell anyone).

I’m so excited about and hopeful for our future. Thank you for hanging in there with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment